Hours of operation
Monday – Friday: 7:30am – 6:30pm
Sakurazutsumi Office : 2-2-3 Sakurazutsumi, Musashino-shi, Tokyo, 180-0021
Sakai (Main Campus/School): 5-17-15 Sakai, Musashino-shi, Tokyo, 180-0022
E-MAIL ADDRESS: staff[at]bkipreschool.com (Please replace the [at] with @)
(English or Japanese OK)
BKI Preschool Main Campus: Sakai 5-17-15, Musashino-Shi, Tokyo, 180-0022: Our customers come from some of the following areas; Musashisakai, Koganei, Mitaka, Kichijoji, (Musashino) Nishi-Tokyo, Kodaira.
Bilingual Kids International Preschool (BKI Preschool) is a family run company, operated by Kumi Tajima (Director) and Rob Mathews (Director) under the trading name BILINGUAL KIDS CO., LTD. We are fully Qualified Australian Kindergarten Teachers, who have a range of experience working at various child care organizations throughout Japan and abroard. We are also experienced parents, with two grown bilingual children of our own.
After working with the childcare team at Curtin University in Western Australia, team research led us to select the Reggio Emilia Approach as the most comprehensive approach to teaching bilingual children. We have found that it is very well-suited to educating children in both group and individual situations (an important focus of Japanese based international schools) because the promotion of both collaboration and leadership naturally arises from the creative day-to-day project work that the children do. We fully believe that this creative focus, backed by habitually persistent action, provides a vital contribution to delivering competent young learners.
Our children successfully go on to a variety of different schools including the American School in Japan (ASIJ), Myojo Gakuen, the Christian Academy in Japan, Columbia International School, K International, Aoba-Japan International School, Sakurano Elementary School, and other local schools.
To find out what kind of exciting activities the kids do on a daily basis please go to our RED HOT DISCOVERIES blog.
As an additional service our International Preschool also provides full day care from 7.30am to 6.30 pm five days per week.
THE TEAM: Currently we have six full time staff: Our Head Teacher has a degree in Occupational Therapy, our Music Teacher is a Bilingual ICU Graduate and the remaining four staff members are Fully Qualified Kindergarten Teachers. BKI is also further supported by four other team members including a second regular Music Teacher (Qualified) two accountants and a Social Media manager. The total number of BKI personnel is ten. To find out more about our team follow this link.
Borne out of love and commitment, BKI has come a long way since it first started operating out of old Japanese house. Head office is now located inside a beautiful green leafy park. Nearby are ponds and a stream containing a waterfall and freshwater crayfish. Frequent visitors include ducks, egrets and blue kingfishers.
Not far away is our newly built, Ghibli inspired, Main Campus. Construction of this three story facility was completed in early 2017. A unique combination of both East and West, the school has been deliberately custom constructed to provide large, open, redefinable space, easily able to adapt to the many creative uses that the children may desire. Knowing that a great outdoor nature environment is also vital for the healthy development of young children, we have selected a position surrounded by a variety of great nature and play parks. With so much great nature and play equipment to choose from, BKI is truly your child’s home away from home.
If you are looking to move to Tokyo, Musashi-Sakai and its surrounding Musashino area is, in our experience, a perfect place for the best family lifestyle. The Musashino area is well-regarded for its High Quality Education. Our area is very green with plenty of trees and market gardens. We are situated right in the middle of four large parks, all within easy riding distance by bicycle. Another park, Koganei Park, Tokyo’s second largest at 90 hectares, is situated less than five hundred meters from BKI Head Office. Great shopping can also be found at nearby Kichijoji, which has plenty of European-style coffee shops and exotic shops. An open-air Thai restaurant is situated amongst the trees overlooking the lake at Inokashira Park. This area is connected directly to the main business area of Shinjuku by the Chuo Line, a thirty-minute train journey. Musashino International Association (MIA), an organization with which we are affiliated, provides total support for foreigners living locally and throughout Tokyo. Many of our existing customers include families who have relocated from outlying areas to put their children in BKI. We believe that Musashisakai and its surrounding Musashino area is the perfect location for an International Kindergarten / Preschool, not just because the area is much greener than outlying areas but also because nearby locations such as Mitaka and Kichijoji (on the Chuo line) Koganei, Nishi Tokyo and Kodaira, are also attracting a great deal of new investment. Musashi-Sakai (Musashino-Shi) is an exciting place to be!
Relocation from outside Japan is as easy as 1,2,3. If you would like to relocate to our area please contact us here to receive a free relocation kit.
Your child's Safety is Our Priority
- Unlike very old buildings that cannot meet the most current (Strict) government earthquake regulations, due to their aging facilities being 25 years old or more, BKI buildings comply with the most current up to date regulations available. We love all our kids, and we believe in a better tomorrow, thats why we at BKI have reinvested everything we have behind everything we do. Your peace of mind is the most important thing to us.
- Head Office Facility is 1.5 x stronger than Government Earthquake Regulations/ Construction rating is a 3 which is the highest level possible for a 2 story building of its type. (Constructed 2010)
- Main Campus facility is 1.5 times stronger than Government regulations and has the highest possible rating for a 3 story building of its type. (Constructed 2017)
- All internal doors at main campus are sliding doors (to protect your child's fingers).
- Main Campus rooms are all large and spacious, allowing our teachers full monitoring control of the children at all times. (NO small rooms where a child could be left unguarded).
- Main Campus is designed to be Clean and Hygienic for your child's health and wellbeing, with easy clean surfaces (including tables, walls and floors), limited "nooks and crannies" and a super large genkun area. Regular cleaning is carried out everyday and throughout the week.
- The Musashino Area is regarded as one of the safest areas in Tokyo for earthquake (and subsequent fires) due to the stability of its land.
- Located right next to a Police Koban where several officers are stationed. (Sakurazutsumi Head Office)
- Located nearby a 24-hour Red Cross Children’s Hospital. (Head Office and Main Campus)
- We aspire mainly to Australian regulations. Our staff /child ratio may at times reflect Japanese government regulations.
- Close to parks for quick evacuation (Head Office and Main Campus)
- Both locations in quiet streets (Head Office and Main Campus)
- Located close to one of the main Musashino evacuation sites (Sakurano Elementary School), which is stocked with food and supplies (Head Office and Main Campus)
- State of the art earthquake warning device fitted (Head Office).
- Earthquake drills are practiced by the children on the 1st of each month.
- Staff are qualified in CPR, Choking, first aid and AED use.
- Staff are trained to supervise safe play at all times.
- To reunite Art and Life.
- To instill our Core Value that "Personal meaning is best found through action." That acting on our interests is the only way to impact our world.
- To immerse your child in love, creative endeavor, humor, nature, and belonging. See Managements Message.
- To provide affordable, high-quality professional care along with developmentally appropriate projects through which each child can reach their full potential — physically and in terms of language, and mental development.
- To create and maintain a secure, fun filled environment complete with presence, provocation and learning where the development of children, parents and staff is forever ongoing and where relationships are valued as central to this process.
- To educate the whole child (spirit, heart, and mind) in ways that allow children to explore all forms of self-expression through creativity, art and language.
- To research and document daily life at the Centre so that each child’s learning may be made transparent thus allowing parents to understand more fully how and what their child is learning and how they can help to guide this process.
- To uphold management’s priority for a “Child Centred” environment, a fun place that children want to attend and where parents are confident that their child’s bilingual abilities are being exercised to their full potential.
Bilingual Kids International Preschool believes wholeheartedly with the following video. We hope you do, too! This video was uploaded to Youtube by the TED webmaster (www.ted.com). TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading”. It started out in 1984 as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. In the following video, Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.